Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How easily it all slips by...

I don't think I'm even going to try and make excuses for my lack of blogging, it's not worth it.  To be honest, I guess I am just not a committed blogger...it's not because I am necessarily working day in and day out and it's also not because I don't enjoy updating you fine people about my life in Aotearoa.  This blog comes in the wake of mental exhaustion from having spent too much time on an essay for class; I needed a break :)  Also, I am watching 'The Grudge 3' right now and really need a distraction from the outrageously creepy 'aaahhhhhhhaaahhhahh' of the demented Asian ghost...

In my last post, I talked about my strangely wonderful journey to Tonga and all the fun events and conversations that occurred in this Pacific paradise-of-sorts.  It's been roughly two months since I returned and I have to say that things are pretty standard as far as my life in New Zealand goes.  I started a new school semester, I picked up a part-time job tutoring some undergrad epidemiology students, and I've made some interesting friends all along the way.  This is not to say that I don't wake up each morning feeling too blessed to be stressed--I do.  But I can't shake this feeling that my next adventure is one that centers around going home...more on that later in this edition.

But back to class!  I've started--and am now close to the end of--some new courses in my program!  I am enrolled in PUBH702: Society, Health, and Public Policy and PUBH703: Health and Environment.  There's quite a bit of overlap between the two courses, and even some overlap between 702 and my Health Systems course last semester...but, you win some you lose some.  Actually, I've become more interested in my classes these last few weeks and I'm just hoping for some decent grades.  Not going to lie, I've been on struggle street for a solid month...AT LEAST.  Nevertheless, I think things will end up alright and I am still quite pleased with the work I've done over the course of the program.  In fact, the program has definitely increased my interest in Public Health affairs and I could definitely see myself working in the field.  I've even considered doing a PhD in Public Health over here, focusing on health policy and primary care.  But, for those of you who know me...my career path changes from week to week, and that's a conservative estimate of my propensity to casually date when it comes to careers.  No worries though, I've applied to vet school as well.  And I've still got a spot in pharmacy school.  And I've applied for a few jobs in Washington D.C.  Some may call this 'indecisiveness mixed with being non-committal by nature'.  In fact, I am one of those people who calls it as such.  However, I would prefer to call it 'winning' because no blog is complete without a Charlie Sheen reference. 

But! I digress.  School stuff is going well, check.  In other New Zealand news, the World Cup is here!  yes!  It is the Rugby World Cup and there are 4 games in Dunedin.  I've not been to one yet, but am hopefully headed to the Ireland v. Italy game in October.  The 'buzz' in town has really picked up since the start of the sporting event and Dunedin actually feels really culturally-diverse at the moment!  I can sit in a coffee shop and hear loads of differents accents and even a few different languages.  It's fantastic!!  But, what makes this whole Rugby World Cup thing interesting as it relates to my life is that I was in France during the last Rugby World Cup and as some of you may know, France hosted that year!  The Eiffel Tower even had a giant inflatable rugby ball in it!  Perhaps this will provide me with a new life direction?  Maybe I should base all my life and career decision around whether or not I can pick up and be in the Rugby World Cup host country ?  Sounds like a strategy to me!  Thoughts?

On a more general note, this whole experience in New Zealand has already shown me so much about myself--good and bad.  I've had a few "coming to Jesus" moments since I've been here and it's forced me to be really honest with myself about my motives and my beliefs.  It's been a bit of a struggle but I am in a really good place right now.  I've been reading a few fantastic books that have really made me think and I'm literally about to burst at the seams because I feel like the fun is just beginning.  Perhaps I'm just growing up.  For those of you who know me, again, you will know that this TERRIFIES me.  I am not talking about 'growing up' in the sense of not being silly and spontaneous and all that...I'll never shake that stuff.  I'm talking about the real meaty stuff.  You know...figuring out who you are, what you want out of life (aside from a career though, in my case), and what matters to you most.  You start to realize that you can't keep living the way you do if you want to make changes and that it takes work to make things happen.  But...at this point I'm rambling.  So with that, I bid you fair people adieu and I hope to update again soon :)

CHEERS!
Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment